Thursday 15th January

Casanova

Director: Lasse Hallstrom
Year: 2005
Stars: Heath Ledger, Siena Miller, Omid Djalili, Oliver Platt, Charlie Cox, Natalie Dormer

I wasn't really knowing what to expect from this. I had read reviews when it was originally released at the cinema, none of which had been particularly complimentary. They hadn't really put me off seeing the film though, as none of them had really said what kind of film it was. I was none the wiser than I would have been from just the title - I knew it was about Casanova.

Turns out, the critics were wrong with this one. The film had clear elements of a farce, and was quite enjoyable for it. As long as you weren't expecting anything serious, the film was a good-humoured, well, romp. It was fun to watch and kept me happily engaged for 2 hours. In fairness, you don't need really need to know much more except that it is about Casanova - to say anymore might give the game away a little. Certainly a film where the less you go in knowing, or expecting, the more you will probably get out of it. Of course, it will probably help if you like Heath Ledger too - he's in this a lot!

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.