Saturday 24th January

As You Like It

Director: Kenneth Brannagh
Year: 2006
Stars: Brian Blessed, Bryce Dallas Howard, David Oyelowo, Adrian Lester, Alfred Molina, Romola Garai

The TV guide began the review for this with "this isn't as we like it". On this occasion, I'm inclined to agree. The film is dull, uninspiring and just plain sent me to sleep. Literally - I missed 20 minutes in the middle. Although when I woke up I still knew what was happening as each 20 minute segment only included 5 minutes of storyline. I would say the part with the shots of flowers was where it got really silly, but honestly, they were some of the best shots of the whole movie.

I would normally tell you roughly what the plot of the film was here, but to be honest, I can't remember any of the characters names. Except Orlando. And maybe Rosalind. It's silly, typical Shakespeare farce - and one of the worst, if you ask me. Suffice it to say that there are lots of characters running around being in love with the wrong people until ten minutes before the end when they all magically change their minds.

I may be being slightly harsh on the film because I'm not exactly a fan of the play, but the film really didn't do it any favours. And WHY set a tale of Shakespearean England in Japan? Why?

Rating: 1 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.