Thursday 11th December

Assault on Precinct 13

Director: Jean-Francois Richet
Year: 2005
Stars: Ethan Hawke, Laurence Fishburne, Maria Bello, John Leguizamo, Gabriel Byrne

This was a film I happened to notice on TV, and thought sounded as if it might be interesting. Admittedly, I was a little sucked in by the fact that it was set on New Years Eve, and being a Christmas lover, it sounded like a good start - although it was fairly easy to tell that this was likely to be a pretty standard action film.

And indeed it was. The plot centres on a washed-up undercover cop who can't cope with past events, and a siege that takes place where he works - funnily enough, on precinct 13. The fact that I nearly fell asleep twice and got distracted half way through goes to show how engaging I thought the plot was. Not that it's bad, just generic; I've seen it all before. I saw the plot twist (albeit a small one) coming 20 minutes before it did, which is just annoying.

If what you are after is a basic action film, you can't go wrong with this. It's perfect Saturday might material. But if you want something fresh, original, or to engage your brain with, you're better off looking elsewhere.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.