Thursday 11th December

Bad Santa

Director: Terry Zwigoff
Year: 2004
Stars: Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Brett Kelly, Laurie Graham

Another one of those films that I had missed at the cinema, I'd heard quite good things about this when it was released. Although it was what I had been expecting, it was still just plain odd. I still can't decide whether or not I liked it, 12 hours later. It did keep me watching and was certainly different to anything I've ever seen before - two plus points.

The plot revolves around a man who gets hired to be Santa at a different mall every Christmas, along with his dwarf friend who plays the helper elf. Then, on Xmas Eve, they proceed to rob the mall they have been working at for the past 30 days or so. The Santa in question is the nastiest man you could hope to meet - chain smoking, drinking and shagging every girl he can find.

The film is peppered full of swear words, and if you hate Christmas, this really is the film for you. It's massively cynical, and sticks two fingers squarely up at Christmas tradition. Mostly. This is Hollywood after all, so you should have a good idea of the ending already. The more I think about it though, the more this film grows on me. And I love Christmas.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.