2014 Review

Only 5 days after New Years Day (well, it makes a change), I'm managing to write my yearly review. I've used the same process this year as I did in 2011 and 2013. That is to say, I've listed all the films that scored 4 stars or more, and my top ten have been decided from that list. I'm pleased to say that, unlike last year, I didn't need to include any 3.5 star movies - in fact, I struggled to choose my favourites from those I had given 4 stars to. Perhaps my ability to choose enjoyable movies is improving?

Once I had picked my ten Films of the Year, all the films that scored 2.5 stars or less were listed together, and my top ten films not to waste your time decided. So, without further ado, here are the lists:

Films of the Year:

10. Easy A (4 stars)
9. Bad Education (4 stars)
8. Gnomeo and Juliet (4 stars)
7. Frankenweenie (4 stars)
6. The Little Mermaid (4 stars)
5. The Way (4 stars)
4. The Guard (4.5 stars)
3. Let Me In (4.5 stars)
2. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (5 stars)

And my Film of the Year:

1. Stand by Me (5 stars)

Film of the Year was, once again, a pretty easy choice. I only gave two movies 5 stars, and only one of them is something I would consider watching over and over again. That's not to say that I wouldn't happily have repeat viewings of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, but I don't believe that I would still love it the way I love Stand by Me years after first seeing it.

Similarly to 2013, many of the movies in my Top Ten Films of the Year (6 out of 10) scored 4 stars, so roughly half of them aren't exceptional in my eyes. However, they are all enjoyable and there are no movies there that I didn't enjoy. Ironically, the one I remember least well is one that I gave 4.5 stars to - The Guard.

In contrast to last year, I seem to have watched less bad films than good ones this year, as I just about managed to pull together a list of ten films that scored 2.5 stars or less. Although, just as in in 2013, all these movies most definitely deserve a place on this list. 

Films Not to Waste Your Time On:

10. The Ides of March (2.5 stars)
9. Adam (2.5 stars)
8. Charlie Wilson's War (2.5 stars)
7. The Fault in our Stars (2 stars)
6. Did you hear about the Morgans? (2 stars)
5. Beginners (2 stars)
4. It's Complicated (2 stars) 
3. The Three Musketeers (2 stars)
2. Brighton Rock (1 star)

And Worst Film of the Year goes to:

1. The Grey (1 star)

Worst Film of the Year was really easy. Only two films scored 1 star (at least nothing scored 0...), and of the two The Grey was most definitely the most boring, worst movie. Whilst Brighton Rock was bad, The Grey was bad AND dull.

In Summary:
Film of the Year 2014: Stand by Me
Worst Film of the Year 2014: The Grey

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.