The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Friday 3rd October 2014

Director: Peter Jackson
Year: 2013
Stars: Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter, Dean O'Gorman, Aidan Turner, John Callen, Peter Hambleton, Jed Brophy, Mark Hadlow, Adam Brown, Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lily

Another movie that I ended up missing when it was released at the cinema, this is one I've been keen to see for a while. I quite enjoyed The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and wanted to watch the next installment. Thanks to a netflix trial, now was my chance.

The first half of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was a little disappointing. The movie is very grandiose, presumably in an attempt to retain an association with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Now, as anybody who has read The Hobbit knows, the book isn't grandiose at all. It all happens on a much smaller, more personal scale than The Lord of the Rings, being told very much from Bilbo Baggins perspective.

Thankfully the movie improves in the later stages, and once we're introduced to Smaug it feels a bit like we're back in The Hobbit book territory, and not just trying to make everything seem much grander than it should be. Not a bad movie overall, but not really close enough to staying in keeping with the tone (not so much the story) of the original book for my liking.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.