May-August 2014 films

I've grouped the last four months together because I really haven't seen that many movies - just 6 in total. That's less than I watched in the month of April alone. The movies were:
    • Water for Elephants (2011) (4 stars)
    • My Sister's Keeper (2009) (4 stars)
    • What to expect when you're expecting (2012) (4 stars)
    • The Fault in our Stars (2014) (2 stars)
    • Brighton Rock (2010) (1 star)
    • Drive (2011) (4 stars)
     As you can see, there's a fair spread there in terms of how good these movies were. Thankfully, the majority of the movies fall on the better side of good. None were good enough to get a full 5-star rating though - and looking back, this was the right decision, as none of them were memorable enough for this.

    Of the four star movies listed, my Film of the Months probably has to be Water for Elephants. I hope I'm not just picking this because it's the one I remember best (it's the only August movie, and it's already October, so it was some time ago I saw all these movies now). I think I'm picking Water for Elephants because it held my attention, was an interesting story, was easy to watch, and kept me interested for the entire movie. Plus, it looked good!

    Film not to waste your time on has to be Brighton Rock, although I remember The Fault in Our Stars with a more lingering hatred. This may be because I was expecting so much from it, and it turned out to be just a cliche. Not what you want from your only cinema visit for some months. However, having re-read my review of Brighton Rock, it was pretty pants. The fact that I thought it was rubbish and can't really remember it suggests that it deserves title of Film not to waste your time on.

    Film of the Months: Water for Elephants
    Film not to waste your time on: Brighton Rock (2010)

    No comments:

    About Me

    My photo
    I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.