The Guard

Tuesday 8th April 2014

Director: John Michael McDonagh
Year: 2011
Stars: Brendan Gleeson, Don Cheadle, Mark Strong

Well, what a pleasant surprise this was. I had recorded it knowing little about it, but thinking it sounded quite good. When we came to watch it, we were a little dubious about whether or not it would be worth it.

Within minutes we were decided. The Guard is set in Ireland, and focuses on Sergeant Gerry Boyle (Gleeson), an Irish Guard based in a  village in County Galway, where very little ever happens. Except there's just been a murder, and it seems that there are some international drug smugglers somewhere nearby  - cue the arrival of the FBI...

This may all sound overly familiar, but The Guard is actually a novel, jolly good romp, with a massive hint of irony about it (a bit like the main character). And has a finale that made me comment how I haven't enjoyed the ending of a movie this much in ages.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.