Rio

Sunday 6th April 2014

Director: Carlos Saldanha
Year: 2011
Stars: Jesse Eisenberg, Leslie Mann, Gracinha Leporace, Anne Hathaway, Jamie Foxx, Will i Am, Jake T Austin (voices)

Rio is exactly what it says on the tin. It features colourful, talking, birds, a madcap story and an American, idealised version of Rio de Janeiro.

The story is all about Blu (Eisenberg), a blue macaw who ends up in Minnesota (or, as the film puts it, not Rio). However, it transpires that he is the last male of his species, so in order to mate and continue the survival of the species, he and his owner Linda (Mann) have to travel to Rio. Cue lots of chaos, kidnapping and comedy.

Rio may not be up with the greats like Toy Story or Shrek, but if you're looking for a fun, animated children's movie you could do a fair bit worse than seeking this one out.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.