Grown Ups

Wednesday 23rd April 2014

Director: Dennis Dugan
Year: 2010
Stars: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade, Rob Schneider, Salma Hayek, Maria Bello, Maya Rudolph, Joyce Van Patten, Ebony Jo-Ann

I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure why I watched this. I recorded it a few days ago, and had 2 or 3 movies left to choose from to watch. I wasn't really expecting to like this, so why I recorded it, let alone watched it, who knows. Simple curiosity, perhaps.

Well, it was better than I was expecting. A group of childhood friends (Sandler, James, Rock, Spade and Schneider) get together for the weekend when their old basketball coach dies. The set-up is silly (apparently the coach had no family at all to spread his ashes, even though he was a great, well-loved man), but the resulting film isn't too bad.  The five friends, and their families (20 people in total) spend a fun 4th July weekend learning how important family and friends are, and how much fun it is to do stuff that isn't talking/ texting on your mobile or watching TV.

Grown Ups isn't as funny as it thinks it is, or as clever, but for an easy-to-watch movie it's fine to just roll along with. Although I accept that my positive take on the movie probably has a lot to do with the fact that I thought it was going to be rubbish. It's merely mediocre.

Rating: 3 out of 5

Footnote: Oh God, I've just realised there's a Grown Ups 2. Never mind.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.