The Awakening


Saturday 1st February 2014

Director: Nick Murphy
Year: 2011
Stars: Rebecca Hall, Dominic West, Imelda Staunton, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Shaun Dooley, Joseph Mawle

Another random movie choice for a Saturday night to ensure we get those last 10 or so movies watched, I don't really know why I recorded The Awakening. It's a fairly standard thriller/ horror movie in many respects. Rebecca Hall plays Florence Cathcart, an educated woman who has become a ghost hunter. Initially Florence is trying to prove that ghosts exists, but usually succeeds in proving the exact opposite. She is invited to a boarding school by Robert Mallory (West), to try and explain why a boy has died, and whether or not that odd boy in the photos really is a ghost or not.

As always with movies like this, there is more to it than meets the eye. Everybody has a secret, but some are more relevant than others. For the majority of The Awakening I was fearful that the conclusion wasn't going to be as clever as I wanted it to be. Well, it ended better than it could have done - but it still isn't as clever as it thinks it is. We didn't fully guess the ending (as we often do), but we were halfway there. As horror movies go, you could do a lot worse. But Drag me to Hell is a lot more fun, and Let Me In is a better story.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.