2012

Wednesday 22nd January 2014

Director: Roland Emmerich
Year: 2009
Stars: John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Thandie Newton, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Oliver Platt

This had been sitting waiting to be watched for some time. I wasn't expecting a lot from it, and it probably wouldn't have been our first choice of movie... except for the fact that it was split into two halves (something to do with small fingers and switches when it was being recorded), and we were both shattered. So an easy-to-watch movie that lasted a few hours before bed sounded about right.

If you're expecting a disaster movie, 2012 isn't actually too bad. You have to accept that camper vans and limos can jump across massive chasms, but if you're OK with that, you'll probably enjoy this. The basic premise is that the the Earth's crust, and therefore the world, is going to get destroyed. Cue lots of weather-related disasters; earthquakes floods, tsunamis, volcanos in the USA, that kind of thing...

There's a lot of pretty impressive CGI here, and I imagine it would have looked even better on the big screen. Also, as disaster movies go, the story isn't utterly ridiculous. Settle down for an enjoyable evening where no thinking is required and you'll be perfectly happy.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.