Gnomeo and Juliet

Thursday 2 January 2014

Director: Kelly Asbury
Year: 2011
Stars: James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Ashley Jensen, Michael Caine, Matt Lucas, Jim Cummings, Maggie Smith, Jason Statham (voices)

This was funny. Properly funny. It had my brother and me in fits within minutes. It's also short, which goes pretty well with funny.

Gnomeo and Juliet broadly tells the tale of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, but here they are gnomes, and rather than being the Montagues and Capulets (although they are that as well), they are better known as the red and the blues. Shakespeare's tragedy is somewhat massacred in places, but the movie makes no bones about this, happily pointing out that parts of Shakespeare's tragedy are long and not exactly appropriate for such a short-and-sweet movie. This was just one of the things that kept my brother especially happy.*

The perfect movie for a feel-good Thursday (or Friday, or weekend day, or any day really).

Rating: 4 out of 5

*It could be concluded from this review that my brother is six. In fact, he's nearly 36.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.