Paul

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Director: Greg Mottola
Year: 2011
Stars: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost

Starting to feel better, but this evening seemed like a good excuse to fit a final movie in before I had to go back to real life (work, looking after the baby, buying food, that sort of thing). I've wanted to see Paul for a while, and a few weeks ago it was on TV, so I had just been waiting for a good excuse to watch the movie.

Reviews at the time weren't especially kind to Paul - and in all fairness, it's no Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz. But it is still funny, and very different to those other movies. The premise is incredibly simple - two English guys go on a roadtrip across 'alien America' and meet an actual alien. And yes, there are very, very big hints to Close Encounters of the Third Kind in this movie.

As long as you're not expecting too much, Paul is a really, fun enjoyable movie. But if you want brilliance watch Shaun of the Dead. It's always on TV anyway.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.