April-June 2013 films

Whilst I watched lots of films in June, I watched very little in April and May, so have decided to review them all together just for ease.

Without further ado, here's the list:
  • A Bunch of Amateurs (2008) (4 stars)
  • Before Midnight (2013) (3.5 stars)
  • West is West (2010) (3 stars)
  • Despicable Me (2010) (2.5 stars)
  • Date Night (2010) (3 stars)
  • The Switch (2010) (2.5 stars)
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) (4 stars)
  • Sideways (2004) (3 stars)
  • The Host (3.5 stars) 
What a bunch of average looking movies, quite frankly. Which makes it fairly easy to pick a Film of the Month (I know, it's 3 months, but then all but 3 of the movies were watched in June...) , and virtually impossible to pick a Film Not to Waste Your Time On. Not only because I've seen much more dire movies than most of these, but also because so many of these movies were so average I can barely remember them anyway.

Film of the Month goes to (OK, this is quite hard)... A Bunch of Amateurs. It is a close call between that and The Hobbit though. Whilst The Hobbit was everything I was hoping it would be, and I did really enjoy it, A Bunch of Amateurs just tops it for me because the fact that I enjoyed was just such a pleasant surprise. There's just something special about finding a great little movie you didn't really know existed, and it hasn't happened to me for a while.

Film Not to Waste Your Time On goes to, umm... The Switch. This is mostly because I can't really remember this movie at all. The other 2.5 star movie is Despicable Me, and although it's not a great watch, I'm not going to forget what it's about quite so soon, and quite so definitely (I'll admit that may have more to do with the marketing and the fact that a Despicable Me 2 has been released than because the film is particularly memorable). I had to read my review of The Switch even to know who it starred (Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman, apparently).

So, not actually a great movie month - a shame, considering I now go to a fair amount of effort to find time to watch these movies. I'll try harder over the next few months.

Film of the Month: A Bunch of Amateurs
Film Not to Waste Your Time On: The Switch

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.