A Bunch of Amateurs

Sunday 30th June 2013

Director: Andy Cadiff
Year: 2008
Stars: Burt Reynolds, Samanatha Bond, Imelda Staunton, Charles Durning, Lorraine Ashbourne, Derek Jacobi

Having written this once and blogger helpfully deleting it for me, I'm not in the best frame of mind to write it again... ah well, I'll see what I can do:

I'm not even sure why I recorded this. I knew nothing about the movie, and had no memory of choosing to record it. Luckily for me, it's a great little gem of a movie that I really wasn't expecting. A British film with a willingness not to take itself too seriously, it had me laughing along with it and put me in a much better mood after watching it.

A Bunch of Amateurs is all about Jefferson Steel (Reynolds), an out-of-work Hollywood actor whose agent tricks him into agreeing to go to England to work on a charity production of King Lear at a local theatre. Initially mad that he's not performing in Stratford-upon-Avon, Steel then has the fear of having to learn the lines for a lead in a Shakespeare play - something Hollywood action stars don't need to do.

For me, the best thing about A Bunch of Amateurs was Mary (Staunton), but Reynold's willingness not to take himself too seriously also really helps this lovely little movie along. A very pleasant surprise.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.