The Dark Knight Rises: Film #170 of Film 365

Friday 27th July 2012

Director: Christopher Nolan
Year: 2012
Stars: Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman

I was keen to see this as I had really enjoyed Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, although I was a little unsure about whether or not it could ever compete with these movies - especially considering it is the final movie in the trilogy, and I guessed that a lot of the movie would be all about spectacle. It's also 160 minutes long - something I wasn't sure whether or not I'd be able to handle what with being 7 months pregnant and having some back pain.

Thankfully, the back pain wasn't too bad. I wasn't really wrong about the spectacle, and it doesn't compare with the earlier two films. But then perhaps it never would have been able to. This doesn't make it a bad movie though. Sure, it could probably have been a bit shorter (time drags a little at about 1 hour in), but it's still miles ahead of most super hero movies. The plot is perhaps not as sleek as it could be (the holes aren't gaping, but they are there), but you still care about the characters. And the spectacle is definitely spectacular. Very enjoyable, just not quite up to Nolan's usual standards. But if, at your best, your standards are Memento and Inception, you're aiming pretty high in the first place.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.