The Proposal: Film #162 of Film 365

Wednesday 27th June 2012

Director: Anne Fletcher
Year: 2009
Stars: Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds

I had half a day off work, so figured chilling out and watching a film would be a nice way to spend a couple of hours. As I was on my own, I quite fancied a romantic comedy - and knew we had a fair few of them lurking around, having been recorded and not being things that anybody else would care about watching. I had also wanted to see The Proposal for a while, in a sort of indifferent way.

As with most Hollywood romantic comedies, there's nothing amazing here. Margaret Tate (Bullock) is a Canadian, working as a publisher in the USA, who everybody fears. But she is about to get exported because her visa has run out. So she forces her assistant (Reynolds), who apparently loathes her, to get engaged to her. Can you see where this is going?

I spent a perfectly enjoyable couple of hours watching a very predictable movie that I won't remember in a month's time. The leads (Bullock and Reynolds) are nice enough so that it's not frustrating to watch, doing exactly what you'd expect them to do, exactly when you expect them to do it.

If you like rom coms, this will keep you happy enough. But don't expect anything novel - for that, watch Attack the Block.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.