May 2012 films

So, there's good news and there's bad news. If your RSS feed is as clogged up as mine, you'll probably view most of this as good news. The good news is that, other than this post, I'm up-to-date with posts for this blog. The bad news is that I haven't watched a single movie since 15th May - so for over a month now. Which hopefully helps explain why this particular post is half a month late...

I am hoping to get round to watching at least some movies in the near future, as a lot of series we've been watching on TV have now ended (The Big Bang Theory, Touch, Have I Got News For You to name a few). Of course, I may be naive to believe that this means more time to watch other things on TV!

But that's enough about the future, let's take a look at the movies that I watched in May- a grand total of five:
  • Desperado (1995) - 4 stars
  • Twilight: New Moon (2009) - 4 stars
  • Dark Shadows (2012) - 3.5 stars
  • A Mighty Heart (2007) -2.5 stars
  • The Hunger Games (2012) - 4.5 stars
Thankfully, I really enjoyed the majority of these movies. Which is good news because if I'm only watching five in a month I want to enjoy every single one of them! Admittedly, I knew I was going to enjoy a couple of them because I'd seen them before (Twilight and Desperado). However, neither quite make my Film of the Month. This honour happily, and easily, goes to The Hunger Games. A really unique movie, well adapted from a book I haven't read, which led to long discussions between myself and my husband about the rights, wrongs and general questions of morality the film posed.

Film not to waste your time on is also pretty easy. A Mighty Heart isn't really a bad movie, but it's not especially memorable, rather dull in places, and simply can't compare in any way to any of the other movies on this list - not even to Dark Shadows.

And if you hadn't guessed, Film 365 is doing really badly. And June isn't going to help one little bit - not even if I watch a film a day from now on (which isn't going to happen). I've now watched 160 of 365 movies (43%), but as of the end of May I was 82 days (nearly 3 months...) behind my deadline.

Film of the Month: The Hunger Games
Film not to waste your time on: A Mighty Heart

No of films watched: 160/365
Target no. of Film 365 films to have watched: 365+81

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.