A Mighty Heart: Film # 157 of Film 365

Wednesday 9th May 2012

Director: Michael Winterbottom
Year: 2007
Stars: Angelina Jolie, Dan Futterman, Archie Panjabi

This started out fairly well. Futterman plays Danny Pearl, a journalist who is in Pakistan with his pregnant wife. About twenty minutes into the movie, he is kidnapped by terrorists. The first half an hour shows great promise and I thought I might be in for a well-told, enjoyable movie.

The next hour follows Dan's wife Mariane (Jolie), and the group of people who try to help her find her husband, work out why he has been kidnapped, and get him released. And that's all that happens. Now, I know this is a true story, and more than once I felt as if I should really care more than I did- but for me the film just dragged.

In the final half an hour, we find out what has happened to Danny. I know I'm meant to care, and care a lot more than I did. I can certainly empathise and feel the way I'm meant to - but that's because I know this is a true story, not because the film made me feel this way. Somehow I just expected more.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.