Dark Shadows: Film #158 of Film 365

Friday 11th May 2012

Director: Tim Burton
Year: 2012
Stars: Johnny Depp, Eva Green, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, Bella Heathcote, Chloe Grace Moretz, Gulliver McGrath, Jonny Lee Miller

If you like Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, gothic movies and schlock, the likelihood is that you'll enjoy Dark Shadows. I'm a pretty big fan of all of the above, so wasn't going to let the opportunity to see this movie go by unnoticed.

Barnabas Collins (Depp) is a 200 year old vampire. He was created back in the late 1700s by an jealous ex-lover (Green), and was been buried alive not longer after he became a vampire. He is dug up by a construction crew in the early 1970s - which is when the majority of Dark Shadows is set.

Dark Shadows is a typical Burton gothic movie in many senses, and this makes it all quite enjoyable. However, the movie isn't without its flaws. The storyline is based on a old 1970s US TV show that, apparently, nobody except Burton and Depp ever watched. And my guess is that it was quite bad.

Elements of the plot in Dark Shadows don't really make that much sense - I'm still confused over exactly who Victoria Winters (Heathcote) really is. Whether that's the fault of the TV show or the movie I'm not entirely sure, but there are aspects to Dark Shadows that continue to frustrate me a little. But as long as you know what you're getting (and are a fan of that sort of thing), you'll probably be happy enough.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.