Sex and the City: Film #154 of Film 365

Monday 23rd April 2012

Director: Michael Patrick King
Year: 2008
Stars: Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Chris Noth

Firstly, I just want to say that I'm not anti Sex and the City. I've never been a huge fan, but I have no problems with the show and will happily sit down and watch an episode occasionally. So a few months ago I recorded the Sex and the City movie, but hadn't quite got around to watching it- primarily because it's nearly 2 and a half hours long.

After I had recorded the movie, I read a couple of reviews. They were really rather scathing, and I became a little concerned about how good this was going to be - which prevented me from watching the movie for another month or so.

And I hate to say it, but they were right. This is a (bad) half an hour episode of Sex and the City (at a push it could be stretched to an hour and a half movie), spread out over an agonising two and a half hours. The sole message of the movie seems to be that life without a man is, if not completely impossible, really rather hard- but also that, a lot of the time, men are jerks. There is nothing here to redeem the movie, or make it palatable in any sense. It's not just a dull movie, it's also mean and, well, wrong. It's put me off watching any more Sex and the City for some time.

Rating: 1 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.