Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Film #149 of Film 365

Friday 6th April 2012

Director: Steven Spielberg
Year: 1977
Stars: Richard Dreyfuss, Terri Garr, Melinda Dillon

OK, I admit it, I've never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind before. So when I announced this when we had some friends round, that was a great excuse to force me to watch it. I was informed that it's a ground-breaking, iconic movie and everyone should see it.

The movie focuses on Roy Neary (Dreyfuss), a man who has an odd UFO-type encounter. He then feels drawn to a specific area in the wilderness that people are specifically warned to stay away from. And that's about it. It's a pretty long film, and I still don't really know why. Not a hell of a lot happens - although there is a lot of twinkly music.

I can understand why I was told it's an iconic movie. A lot of more recent TV shows and films borrow a lot of ideas from it (The X Files and The 4400 are two obvious ones that spring to mind, but there are many, many more). The individual ideas are therefore clearly lasting ones, but this doesn't make Close Encounters of the Third Kind a good movie. At best, it's average. And I still don't really get the point.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.