Romance and Cigarettes: Film # 133 of Film 365

Wednesday 1st February 2012

Director: John Turturro
Year: 2005
Stars: James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon, Kate Winslet, Steve Buscemi

It wasn't until I started watching Romance and Cigarettes that I remembered what was odd about it - they sing. That in itself doesn't really bother me; I'm perfectly happy with a good musical and have few problems with characters breaking out into song at completely inappropriate (or sometimes even appropriate) moments.

What I still find odd about Romance and Cigarettes is that I don't really know what the film was trying to do, or say. It all felt, well, a little experimental. Sarandon plays Kitty Kane, a woman whose husband (Nick Murder, played by Gandolfini) has cheated on her. The film follows Nick and Kitty as they deal (or fail to deal) with this.

I don't know whether I liked this or not. I'm just confused by it. And I also can't help but feel that the name Nick Murder is significant - I just don't really understand how. See, confused.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 (I think)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.