Knowing: Film # 134 of Film 365

Friday 3rd February 2012

Director: Alex Proyas
Year: 2009
Stars: Nicolas Cage, Chandler Canterbury, Rose Byrne, Lara Robinson

If Romance and Cigarettes was made to confuse me, Knowing was made to reassure me that there are still such things as Hollywood movies. Almost nothing about this will surprise you - apart from perhaps the ending, which isn't quite as Hollywood as you might expect. And probably all the better for it. Within the first 10 minutes I had pretty much guessed where this was going; but it didn't really mean that getting there was any less enjoyable, as long as you were happy to give in to the standard Hollywood gloss (and, at times, really rather obvious CGI).

Nicolas Cage is John Koestler, a man whose son (Caleb, played by Canterbury) receives a list of numbers when a time capsule is dug up at his school, 50 years after it was buried. It will come as no surprise that the list of numbers is significant, but everybody thinks Cage is mad for believing so - until the final third of the movie.

There's not really much to say about Knowing that you don't know already. It's a perfectly good example of what it is, with a slightly better than average ending. But it isn't going to make my Film of the Year either.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.