I Love You, Man: Film #116 of Film 365

Wednesday 4th January 2012

Director: John Hamburg
Year: 2009
Stars: Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, Rashida Jones, Jane Curtin, J.K Simmons, Andy Samberg

I wasn't expecting a lot from this. I just wanted a nice easy movie to watch on a quiet, lazy Wednesday evening. Luckily, it was better than I was expecting it to be.

I Love You, Man is all about a man (Rudd) who has just got engaged, but doesn't have any real male friends. So in order to find one who will make a suitable best man, he starts going on lots of "man-dates".

I don't really know what the message is meant to be here - and it really felt like there was supposed to be one. I think it was that every man needs a buddy, which feels to me like one of those very shallow Hollywood concepts. Yes, we all need friends, but I don't see why it can't be somebody of the opposite sex.

Either way, the fact that the message was lost on me (or ignored by me, depending upon your point of view) didn't detract from the fact that I still thought the film was pretty funny. And I was laughing in all the right places, not the wrong ones (at least, I think I was. Unless I missed the point more than I realised).

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.