The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Film #115 of Film 365

Monday 2nd January 2012

Director: David Fincher
Year: 2011
Stars: Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgard, Robin Wright, Joely Richardson

Having previously watched the Swedish version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and found it rather dull, I was a little sceptical about this Hollywood re-make. However, the trailers were convincing enough to make me think that this version could be a little faster paced.

The Hollywood version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, like the Swedish film, remains relatively faithful to the book. The movie is still a long one, but somehow doesn't drag its feet in quite the same way. There are still lots of loose ends and sub-plots to tie up, but Fincher manages this is a much more concise way.

It's certainly not going to be my film of the year (or, I certainly hope it won't - if it does, I'll be disappointed with the offerings), but if you've read the book and enjoyed the story, this is worth a watch. It's also one of those rare moments where I prefer the Hollywood remake to the original foreign language version (although I have to admit that I'm still not sure what was going on with those bizarre opening credits).

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.