The Hand that Rocks the Cradle: Film # 126 of Film 365

Wednesday 18th January 2012

Director: Curtis Hanson
Year: 1992
Stars: Annabella Sciorra, Rebecca DeMornay, Matt McCoy, Julianne Moore, Ernie Hudson, Madeline Zima

I was convinced I'd seen this before, although I knew it was some time ago. However, having talked to a colleague at work about it, I couldn't really remember any of the scenes he mentioned. So when it was being shown on TV, I thought I'd give it a re-watch to remind myself of what happens.

Five minutes into the movie, and I had no memory at all of any the scenes. I'm really not sure I had seen this before - either it's been wiped from my memory entirely, or I was just mixing it up with some other movie.

In The Hand that Rocked the Cradle, Claire (Sciorra) accuses her doctor of molesting her when she's pregnant. This leads to a rather angry wife managing to work her way into Claire's family, as a nanny for her two children. Obviously this isn't good news, and the rest of the movie focuses on the events that follow.

There are a lot of scenes in The Hand that Rocked the Cradle that feel very familiar to me in a "I've seen this in a Hollywood thriller before" sort of way. However, many of these thrillers may well have been made since The Hand that Rocked the Cradle was released, so it's possible this movie is something of a genre definer. It was certainly an enjoyable movie to watch, even if it was fairly obvious (at least to me) what was coming when.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.