Defiance: Film # 127 of Film 365

Thursday 19th January 2012

Director: Edward Zwick
Year: 2008
Stars: Daniel Craig, Liev Schrieber, Jamie Bell, Alexa Davalos

I've had this movie recorded for a while, but was delaying watching it because it was fairly long. However, I had a fairly quiet evening so decided to give it a go... without really knowing what sort of movie I was going to be watching, because I couldn't really remember what Defiance was about, or why I had recorded it.

Well, it's all about World War II, and a group of Jews who lived in the forest during the war. Tuvia Bielski (Craig) is the group's Commander, and has to work to keep them altogether and working as a team. It's based on a true story, but it's not one I knew about before watching Defiance.

There's nothing wrong with Defiance, and the story is an interesting and (like all World War II movies featuring the Jews) harrowing one. However, I can't help but feel like I've seen this movie - or something like it- many, many times before. Whilst it was a new story to me, the film itself wasn't really anything memorable, new or special. There are better, more involving World War II movies out there - take a look at In Darkness or The Piano for just two excellent examples.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.