The Young Victoria: Film #103 of Film 365

Thursday 22nd December 2011

Director: Jean-Marc Vallee
Year: 2009
Stars: Emily Blunt, Rupert Friend, Paul Bettany, Mark Strong, Miranda Richardson, Jim Broadbent

I had a vague interest in watching this when it got released at the cinema, but I never quite got around to going to see it. The Young Victoria is all about Queen Victoria's early days on the throne, focusing on her coronation, marriage and birth of her first child.

The problem with The Young Victoria is that whilst the elements above make up the plot, they don't really make up much of the film's running time. Victoria's marriage happens in about a minute, and you barely notice her becoming Queen. There are things the film does well - you come away with a proper liking for Prince Albert - but overall it could have been so much more than it is. It has its interesting moments, but it's surprisingly dull for such a short film.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.