17 Again: Film #96 of Film 365

Friday 2nd December 2011

Director: Burr Steers
Year: 2009
Stars: Zac Efron, Matthew Perry, Leslie Mann, Sterling Knight, Michelle Trachtenberg

I was meant to be doing useful, virtuous things like cleaning. So I collapsed and watched a rom-com instead. And it was great. No, really it was. It was really funny - not something I was really expecting.

17 Again has a fairly simple, overly used concept - a middle-aged man pines for his high school years, so he can get back the life he never had. So along comes his "spirit guide" and gives him his wish. Just like other similar rom-coms, it's about winning the girl - but it's mostly about finding yourself, and how this helps others. No great surprises there then.

What made this enjoyable for me was the fact that the focus was quite strongly on the comedy, with some decent characterisation thrown in. I surprised myself by most enjoying the scenes with Zac Efron too. It's not a masterpiece, but it was fun, relaxing Friday evening viewing.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.