The Year of the Tiger: Film #75 of Film 365

Saturday 10th September 2011

Director: Sebastian Lelio
Year: 2011
Stars: Luis Dubo, Sergio Hernandez, Viviana Herrera

So, this was the third of our five Toronto International Film Festival movies, and our Saturday night movie. And it wasn't at all what I was expecting - it was much, much worse.

The film was billed as being about a man who survives the Chilean earthquake and ends up spending the year surviving with a tiger. Well, there was definitely a year - possibly ten. I could feel the minutes of my life ticking away as I watched this, wishing I was anywhere but here. I was on holiday, after all - that's meant to be fun! To say there was a tiger, however (let alone one that dominates the movie) is something of a stretch. There are perhaps two scenes with a tiger in, neither of which lasted more than a minute at best.

I can only apologise to the friend that we hadn't seen for ages, who came along to see this with us. To her, I'm so terribly sorry. This has to be the slowest, dullest movie I've seen in some time - peppered with the occasional shocking image that made you sit up and think "Oh! I've almost fallen asleep in a cinema! Better pay the movie some attention now then! Yawn..."

Rating: 0 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.