A Monster in Paris: Film #74 of Film 365

Saturday 10th September 2011

Director: Bibo Bergeron
Year: 2011
Stars: Adam Goldberg, Catherine O'Hara, Danny Huston, Vanessa Paradis (voices)

This was the second of our five Toronto International Film Festival movies. It was a Saturday afternoon movie, and billed as a children's movie. I'm not sure I'd agreed with that - it didn't really feel like it was aimed at children.

A Monster in Paris is all about a monster that gets created when some perfumes accidentally get added together. He's huge and scary-looking, so everybody hates him. As with all good monsters though, it turns out he might not be as bad as everybody thinks...

The story here is actually fairly simplistic, but the music is beautiful. The animation is also pretty good, although the people I went with seemed to enjoy this more than me. I didn't really think the animation did Paris justice - but then, I'm not sure there's anything I think could do Paris justice, so maybe that's an unfair opinion to have. I had the songs running around in my head for hours afterwards though, and would happily watch it again just to listen to the singing.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.