September 2011 films

OK, so this is bad. It's taken me 11 days to get around to writing my monthly film review. You might think I'd been using some of that time to watch movies, trying to catch up with the massive lack of 365 movies that I (haven't) watched. But no. I've been to Canada, I've been working hard to catch up with actual work, and I've even been watching comfort movies (ones I've seen lots and love - I didn't think there was much need for me to count, or blog about, Twilight or Sweeney Todd again...). But watching new movies that would count towards my 365? Not a chance.

Although, having taken a look at the movies I did watch in September (mostly before that holiday to Canada got in the way), I was surprised to see it was so many. The beginning of September seems like a very long time ago! So, my full list for September is as follows:
  • American Gangster (2007) - 2.5 stars
  • Megamind (2010) - 4 stars
  • In Darkness (2011) - 4.5 stars
  • Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) - 5 stars
  • The Year of the Tiger (2011) - 0 stars
  • A Monster in Paris (2011) - 3.5 stars
  • The Land of Oblivion (2011) - 4.5 stars
  • Never Let Me Go (2010) - 3.5 stars
  • Red Riding Hood (2011) - 3 stars
  • Four Lions (2010) - 2.5 stars
  • Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! (2004) - 3.5 stars
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) - 2.5 stars
So that's a total of 12 movies out of a possible 30. Less than half, again. But considering we were on holiday for two weeks I guess things could have been a lot worse.

There are a lot of pretty average movies in here, although happily none were so mediocre that I have forgotten them already. But perhaps it comes as no surprise that my Film of the Month, and my Film not to waste your time on, were both part of the Toronto International Film Festival. I just have to mention at this point that the Film Festival was a definite highlight, not just of the month or year, but of my movie-watching life. To be surrounded by so many film lovers - and films!-, in a place with such a great atmosphere was fantastic. And to get to hear the directors talk about their movies was really enlightening. It's definitely an experience I'd be willing to repeat, and I have some amazing memories.

That said, my Film not to waste your time on was still a festival film. I guess when you see five movies in three days you're probably not going to win them all. The Year of the Tiger has to be one of the most disappointing, dull films I've seen in some time. Nothing really happens (bar two scenes). I don't think it helps that I felt I had been lied to when reading the plot synopsis before picking the movie - what it said happens really, really didn't. It just made me even angrier when watching the movie.

I saw my Film of the Month the next day (along with another very good movie indeed), so that cheered me up immensely. Martha Marcy May Marlene is actually about one woman, not four - although there's a very good reason for all those names. The film is enlightening, engaging and made me laugh and cry - often at the same time. It's a clever, honest look at the world of cults and how they affect people - not just those who join them, but those who have to pick up the pieces later.

I'm not sure I really want to think about how (badly) I'm doing with my Film 365 project, but here goes: I've watched 79 of 365 movies. I should be on 202. Oh dear. That's 21% of my 365 movies, whereas I should be on 55%. This project might take a while - and October isn't looking any better...

Film of the Month: Martha Marcy May Marlene
Film not to waste your time on: The Year of the Tiger

No. of Film 365 watched: 79/365
Target no. of Film 365 films to have watched: 202/365

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.