The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Film #68 of Film 365

Saturday 3rd September 2011

Director: Niels Arden Oplev
Year: 2009
Stars: Michael Nyqvist, Noomi Rapace, Lena Endre, Sven-Bertil Taube

I had wanted to see this for a while, so when I was at a friend's house and it was offered up as one of the choices, I thought it would be a good choice.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a Swedish movie based on the book of the same name, written by Stieg Larsson. I read the book a while ago now, and enjoyed the story. I couldn't really remember a lot of the details though, which was probably a good thing as I could enjoy the movie without knowing exactly what was going to happen.

The problem with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is that it follows the book, at times, too faithfully - making for an overly long, drawn-out story. It didn't really feel long and drawn out when I was reading the book, but the film just went on a bit too long. In contrast to how I normally feel about movie adaptations of books, I really wish they'd left some of the detail out here. For example, when we were two hours in, it felt like the story had ended, and fairly satisfactorily - but there was still another half an hour to go...

On the positive side though, I really appreciated the casting. Unlike what I imagine to be inevitable in the Hollywood remake, the criminal wasn't signposted from the beginning, and the hero wasn't gorgeous. Everybody just looked normal - as they should. Special mention has to go to Noomi Rapace, who placed Lisbeth Salander. She does an amazing job of pitching the character perfectly - she really was exactly as I imagined the character in the book.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.