Exit through the gift shop: Film #66 of Film 365

Sunday 28th August 2011

Director: Banksy
Year: 2010
Stars: Banksy, Thierry Guetta, Shepard Fairey, Debora Guetta

So, this was a very different type of movie to Twilight or Harry Potter - but an interesting one, nevertheless.

Exit through the Giftshop is all about Thierry Guetta, a Frenchman who lives in Los Angeles and has, somehow, become a famous street artist - not that he's ever really done much street art, it seems. Originally meant to be a documentary on Banksy himself (maybe - watch the film and see what you think), Banksy turned this around and made the documentary about Guetta instead. And I'm glad he did. Guetta is definitely an interesting character, but just as interesting for me were the reactions the other street artists had to Guetta.

If you're not a street art fan don't let that put you off - obviously it's an important subject here, but just as important is the human side to this story. And Banksy does a good job of telling it - in a humourous, vaguely sarcastic way which amused me greatly.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.