Transformers: Film #50 of Film 365

Sunday 3rd July 2011

Director: Michael Bay
Year: 2007
Stars: Shia LeBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson

I'd heard fairly good things about this when it was first released. So, as I'd (intentionally) failed to see it at the cinema, I decided to give it a try when it was shown on TV at the weekend.

Things started out fairly well. All the characters were introduced quickly, but in a way that made it clear who was who. The plot was fairly intriguing, and I was quite enjoying waiting to see people's reactions when they discovered their cars and trucks were really massive robots.

Unfortunately, after about an hour, things went seriously downhill. Sub-plots were introduced that made no sense at all, and I started to get just generally annoyed. Two and a half hours later I was rather bored, and mostly just wanting the whole thing to end. Basically, there was no need at all for hours 1-2, which were entirely nonsensical anyway. At least the final half hour was what it should have been I guess - a final showdown between the autobots and decepticons. Oh, and by the way, Optimus Prime is rubbish - and annoyingly preachy. He was rubbish in the cartoon too. Megatron would always win if those two really got in a fight.

Rating: 2 out of 5 (mostly for managing a decent set-up, if not a decent film)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.