June 2011 films

It's been another pretty rubbish movie month for me. But then, I've been busy... there have been zoo trips, anniversaries, award ceremonies, festivals, Bon Jovi concerts, trips to London and Exeter - basically anything and everything that doesn't involve movies! Plus for some reason TV starting get good (or at least, not really bad). So, out of a possible 30 movies I've only watched 10 (33%). In fairness, that's better than May! Below is the list:
  • Judgment Night (1993) - 4 stars
  • Sparkle (2007) - 3.5 stars
  • Bride Wars (2009) - 2.5 stars
  • The Hangover Part II (2011) - 2.5 stars
  • Definitely, Maybe (2008) - 4 stars
  • Taking Lives (2004) - 2.5 stars
  • The Secret Life of Bees (2008) - 3 stars
  • Role Models (2008) - 3.5 stars
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - 5 stars
  • Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides (2011) - 4 stars
Film of the Month is so easy. I was always going to say this, but Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl wins. I've loved this movie from the first time I saw it at the cinema, and I'm not tired of re-watching it yet. There are a couple of 4 star movies on the list, but this is the only 5 star one, and even if there were others, it'd probably still win!

Film not to waste your time on is much, much harder. I've watched plenty of 2.5 star mediocre movies this month, but nothing properly bad. If pushed, I'd probably have to say that Bride Wars wins the "honour" of Film not to waste your time on. Taking Lives has many, many flaws, but is watchable. If you haven't seen The Hangover, The Hangover II is worth a watch. But Bride Wars seems to just think girls are mean and have no redeeming features - not if they're getting married, anyway.

Overall, I've watched 49 movies out of my 365. I should be on 110. So my success rate is down to 45%. At this rate, my 365 films may well take me two years...

Film of the month: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Film not to waste your time on: Bride Wars

No. of Film 365 films watched: 49/365
Target no. of Film 365 films to have watched: 110/ 365

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.