No Reservations: Film #53 of Film 365

Wednesday 13th July 2011

Director: Scott Hicks
Year: 2007
Stars: Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eckhart, Abigail Breslin, Patricia Clarkson

Here's another movie where I thought I knew exactly what I was getting. It's a romantic comedy where two people (Zeta-Jones and Eckhart) meet, hate each other but are really love, realise they're really love, then end up together happily ever after. Oh, sorry, have I ruined the plot of every romantic Hollywood movie ever for you? Really, you didn't know that was the plot already? Where have you been living?

This time round, there were no surprises. No Reservations does exactly what it says on the tin. Overall, it doesn't do it badly. It does it obviously, but not badly - and there aren't even too many horribly sickly moments. I knew what was going to happen at every turn, but I was OK with that (tip: never be a sister to the lead in a Hollywood movie. Bad things will happen to you). There's nothing surprising here, but if you like romances, nothing particularly annoyingly either.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.