Role Models: Film #42 of Film 365

Sunday 5th June 2011

Director: David Wain
Year: 2008
Stars: Paul Rudd, Seann William Scott, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bobb'e J. Thompson, Elizabeth Banks

This was a random choice for a Sunday evening. I noticed it was on TV and hadn't received really bad reviews. I was sceptical (this is a comedy with William Scott in, after all) but was happy to give a comedy a try...

And was vaguely glad I did. It was actually quite funny and certainly had me laughing - and caring - by the end. Danny (Rudd) and Wheeler (William Scott) are two men who work for Minotaur, an energy drink company. Their job is to sell the energy drink (and say drugs are bad) to school kids. This all goes a little awry when Danny has a bad day and gets in a fight with a pole (and some tow-truckers) outside the school. As punishment, the two of them have to look after kids in order to avoid going to jail.

Some bizarre plotting means they end up in a live action role play - but this is far more engaging (and believable) than it sounds. Funny, but sweet. It turns out that this was just the thing for a lazy, rainy Sunday evening.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.