Talk to Her: Film #39 of Film 365

Tuesday 31st May 2011

Director: Pedro Almodovar
Year: 2002
Stars: Javier Camara, Dario Grandinetti, Rosario Flores, Katerina Bilova, Leonor Watling

I don't really know what to make of Talk to Her (or, to give it it's Spanish title, Hable con ella). It's certainly an interesting movie, keeping me interested for the entire running time.

Camara plays Benigno, a nurse who works on a coma ward. Independently we're introduced to Lydia Gonzalez (Flores), a female bullfighter. Recounting the plot now it seems obvious where it's going, but at the time I had to wait to be told.

I guess that's partly the problem with this movie - whilst it's intriguing and full of very interesting shots, the plot is a little thin on the ground. After something happens, you start to think you really should have seen that coming; nothing really comes as a surprise. However, it is nicely told, even if it's slight.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.