Hanna: Film #34 of Film 365

Saturday 7th May 2011

Director: Joe Wright
Year: 2011
Stars: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, Tom Hollander

Two films in two days? What's going on? Admittedly this was mostly fluke - a couple of friends wanted to go to the cinema, and as we hadn't seen them for ages and weren't busy, we happily said yes.

I wasn't sure about Hanna though. I'd heard pretty good things about it, and the trailer had certainly got me intrigued. But one thing was putting me off - I'm really not a Cate Blanchett fan. There aren't many of her films I've enjoyed, and her accents really, really annoy me. But it was chosen out of a number of options by our friends, so I went with it (although really I want to Scream 4. Why doesn't anybody else?).

Thankfully, Cate Blanchett didn't ruin it for me this time around. I actually really enjoyed Hanna - the music and visual imagery especially felt so refreshing. I'd happily watch more action films like this (for that is really what it is, albeit a fairly intelligent one). That's not to say it didn't have some problems - overthinking the plot meant some things didn't necessarily make sense - although they could all be explained away. And the ending wouldn't have been my preferred one - I wish it had stopped five minutes earlier. But then, that's probably just personal taste.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.