Nicholas Nickleby: Film #5 of Film 365

Sunday 20th March 2011

Director: Douglas McGrath
Year: 2002
Stars: Charlie Hunnam, Jamie Bell, Romola Garai, Tom Courtenay, Christopher Plummer, Jim Broadbent, Juliet Stevenson, Anne Hathaway, Nathan Lane, Timothy Spall

OK, so it's the start of week 2 and I've watched 5 of the 8 films I should have watched. I suck. Although that's over 50% - so it's a pass, right?

Once again I picked a film from the bottom of the list to watch. I don't know why these films haven't been watched yet - so far they've almost all been really quite good. And this is no exception.

I have to confess that I didn't actually know the story of Nicholas Nickleby. I know it's a Dickens novel, but I've never read it or seen an adaptation of it. Turns out, it's really quite good. Basically it tells the story of Nicholas Nickleby up until he's in his mid twenties, or thereabouts (not sure if that's where the book ends, but it's certainly where the film ends). A lot happens, and the film is filled with true Dickensian characters.

Nicholas Nickleby really is a joy to watch. It's filled with quotable dialogue (all very Dickensian and presumably straight from the novel), wonderful characters and situations, and runs along at break-neck speed to try and fit it all in in two hours. And what an enjoyable two hours that was.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.