Before Sunset: Film # 10 of Film 365

Friday 25th March 2011

Director: Richard Linklater
Year: 2004
Stars: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy

Another Richard Linklater movie in two days? It appears I'm having a love affair with this director at the moment. Having said that, I've wanted to see Before Sunset since, well, I finished watching Before Sunrise (so before this movie was even made). I can't believe it has taken me this long to get around to it. I loved Before Sunrise, and whilst the point was in not knowing what happened to the characters, I wanted to see more of those characters.

In Before Sunset we catch up with those same characters nine years later. A lot has happened in the intervening years, so they have a lot to talk about. If you've seen Before Sunrise, you'll know what I mean. Nothing happens in this (or that) movie, except for two characters talking about life, love and everything in-between.

Before Sunset didn't leave me with quite the same warm, happy feeling Before Sunrise did, but it's still a refreshing thing for a movie to do - even nine years later. It'll be hard to fall in love with these characters if you haven't seen the first movie - you have to understand a bit about where they're coming from for them to be lovable. But for me, it was close to a perfect way to spend an early Friday morning. Now I just need to watch Before Sunrise again.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.