Wednesday 26th January 2011

Connie and Carla

Director: Michael Lembeck
Year: 2004
Stars: Nia Vardalos, Toni Collette, Stephen Spinella, David Duchovny

It took me a few minutes to settle down and start watching this film properly. But when I did, I enjoyed it immensely. I have no idea why it's taken us so long to watch it - I think it's been about 2 years since we recorded it. Perhaps it was just the review for it that was putting me off - whatever the reason, it took us a long time!

I guess you could call Connie and Carla a (very) fluffy Thelma and Louise or Moulin Rouge-lite. Certainly at first that was the impression I was getting. Two singers have to run away from Chicago because they are being chased by a killer, and end up at a drag club in Los Angeles (yes, there are reasons for all of this - however obscure they may seem).

To compare it to Thelma and Louise or Moulin Rouge, is, however, perhaps a little unfair. The film very much has its own plot, and despite all the indications does actually end up feeling quite unique - and a lot of fun. It was certainly a film to cheer up a dreary Wednesday evening!

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.