Wednesday 17th November 2010

The Damned United

Director: Tom Hooper
Year: 2009
Stars: Michael Sheen, Timothy Spall, Colm Meaney

We've had this recorded for ages, and I've just never really been in the mood to watch it. But after having it recommended by a couple of people, and, for some reason, being in the right mood, I finally got around to watching it.

The Damned United tells Brian Clough's (Michael Sheen) story, from being manager of Derby County football club and getting them to the top of the first division, to his downfall as manager of Leeds United in 1974.

The (true) story is a good one, and its well told. The only problem I really had with this film was Sheen's accent. It was all over the place, and certainly not (for the most part) from the north. There was definitely some Welsh in there, and some Queen's English. Had it not been for this incredibly distracting aside, The Damned United would have been a very good film, rather than just an interesting one.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.