Sunday 31st October

The Happening

Director: M. Night Shyamalan
Year: 2008
Stars: Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, John Leguizamo, Ashlyn Sanchez

It being Halloween, it was time for a horror movie. The next horror movie on the list was Hostel, but being that we had just made lots of fun scary food to eat (creepy spider cakes, skull and crossbones pizzas, breadstick broomsticks - see Dan's Gastronomically Terrific blog for a run-down, but it was like being a kid again), we figured a very gory horror movie might not be the way to go. So we settled for The Happening instead, a thriller/ horror type movie.

Our friends had leant us the DVD a while ago, telling us it wasn't bad (but also suggesting it wasn't anything fantastic). The movie is about Elliot Moore (Wahlberg), his girlfriend, friend and friend's daughter, who are stuck right in the middle of North East USA when people start killing themselves, apparently for no reason.

This isn't M. Night Shyamalan's finest hour - it seems those films are far behind him. It's not a bad movie, and it does feel genuinely creepy, but the explanation just isn't that fascinating. It all feels a bit, well, obvious. As our friends said, it's alright, I guess.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.