Wednesday 27th October 2010

The Ring II

Director: Hideo Nakata
Year: 2005
Stars: Naomi Watts, David Dorfman, Simon Baker

And here's another bog-standard horror movie that it's taken us ages to watch. It's a bit of a shame really, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Ringu (the first Ring - but the Japanese version) is an excellent, creepy movie full of suspense. The American remake isn't as good, but it's not dire. Secondly, the premise of the first film is great - I love that the audience is watching exactly the thing you shouldn't watch if you don't want to die. The Ring II does away with all that.

The plot is that of a very standard horror movie. The girl (Samara) from the video is still the problem, but it's no longer watching the video that's the issue. Samara is just out to, well, find a mother, apparently. Which means she comes back hunting for Rachel (Watts) and her son Aidan (Dorfman) from the first movie.

I haven't seen the second Ring in the Japanese series, but I hope it has a better plot than this. Although The Ring 2 does, at times, manage to build up some suspense, it more often than not ruins it all by showing the monster/ revealing the scare in a way that just doesn't make you jump. A disappointing sequel.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.