Friday 29th October

Gran Torino

Director: Clint Eastwood
Year: 2008
Stars: Clint Eastwood, Bee Vang, Ahney Her, Christopher Carley

I'd heard good things about this movie when it was released, but never got around to getting to the cinema to watch it. So when it came on Sky Movies as part of a free weekend, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to see it.

Clint Eastwood plays Walt, a retired man whose wife has just died, and who happens to live in an area of the US with a large amount of Asian immigrants. When we first meet Walt he's a racist, crotchety old man. As the film goes on, his character doesn't change completely (I for one liked the movie most when he was being rude), but we do start to see a more rounded character.

There's a good story here, and a very watchable film. It is, however, exactly what it says on the tin. I got pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I don't really have any desire to watch it again in the near future, but I would recommend giving it a chance.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.