September 2010 films

This month started off slowly - I was on holiday for the first week, and then work was really busy. I did manage a brief interlude where all I did was watch films when I was ill, but other than that it wasn't until much later in the month that I started to actually get back into watching lots of movies. This month also has to be notable (a little like last month) in that I only went to the cinema once - something that used to be rare for me but seems to be coming more common. :( Having said that, the film we did see at the cinema (Scott Pilgrim...) was (I'm starting to become convinced) great, and I did really enjoy the whole experience. Maybe going to the cinema less helps me enjoy it more when I do?
  • The Omen - 2.5 stars
  • 300 (2006) - 2 stars
  • Hercules (1997) - 3 stars
  • Knocked Up (2007) -2.5 stars
  • The Edukators (2004) - 4.5 stars
  • Jumper (2008) - 3.5 stars
  • Charlotte'sWeb (2006) - 4 stars
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) - 4 stars
  • Casablanca (1942) - 5 stars
  • 2 Days in Paris (2007) - 3 stars
  • The Black Dahlia (2006) - 3 stars
  • American Dreamz (2006) - 3 stars
  • Indiscreet (1958) - 3 stars
So, what about best and worst films? Thankfully there was nothing truly dire this month. But one film stands out as not having much going for it, and that's 300. Whilst the effects were fine, and would look great on a big screen, the rest of the movie left a lot to be desired. Unconvincing. At the other end of the scale, there are actually a few stand-out movies here. Whilst the different and unique Scott Pilgrim... has grown on me a lot, and The Edukators was much, much better than I was anticipating (with a great storyline and a strong message), apparently it's still almost impossible to beat Casablanca for sheer watchability. It's a classic for a reason.

Film of the Month: Casablanca
Film not to waste your time on: 300

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.